Small business website design is my specialty!
I create websites that work for the small and medium sized businesses that make up most of my esteemed clients. Here are some guidelines I feel make my websites work hard for my clients.
1. Who Are YOU? Clearly state your name and sum up your products or services right on the homepage.
2. A simple, sensible web address. Don’t make things complicated or use alphabet soup letters that can’t be communicated easily on the phone.
3. Simple menu/navigation: Clear links to the most important pages are crucial for guiding visitors to the information they’re looking for. Miss this one and your visitors are gone.. in a click!
4. Contact information that’s right there. Link at the top right corner of the home page, and contact info page that includes phone, e-mail, a standard contact form, and link to your location in Google maps.
5. Customer testimonials/ honest words from others. It will help you sell.
6. An obvious call to action: Free quote, or sign up, or shop now are all good.
7. Smart keywords throughout your text, plenty of links, naming your page titles and URLs correctly, and using images and videos properly.
8. Fresh, quality content that’s updated regularly, a blog or new info are all needed to search well.
9. Secure, trustworthy hosting company to keep your site safe and content management system updated constantly.
10. Design and text that’s friendly to online readers who don’t have time nor much interest in reading.
• Break things down into short paragraphs
• Use bullet points
• Highlight important words or phrases.
11. Google analytics installed and reviewed regularly. It’s free and a treasure trove of marketing information. You can see how many hits, how long they stayed, what pages they clicked on, where they left your site.. and much more. Did I mention it was free?